Friday, November 14, 2008

Friday, November 14, 2008

Fifty-eight years is a long time to be married. That's the length of time my parents are celebrating today. Pretty amazing, isn't it! In all that time they have been through a lot - pastoring seven churches, raising five kids, surviving heart problems and cancer. Through it all their love for each other and their trust in God has remained strong. For me, they exemplify what it means to "fix our eyes on Jesus" (Hebrews 12:2), something I've seen them do for the fifty-seven years that I've been their son.
I've got my eyes fixed on lots of things, but I need to remind myself that any one of them can get me seriously off track if I don't put Jesus first. Today, on my parents' anniversary, I feel challenged to look at Jesus before my eyes grow big about something that, ultimately, is only a distraction and a hindrance that prevents me from "running with perseverance the race marked out for us" (Hebrews 12:1)

1 comment:

Michael Broersma said...

nice... I'm working on mine now!