Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Today's reading from James talks about taming the tongue. He compared our tongue to a small spark that can set a whole forest on fire. It made me think about the devastating fires in California that were apparently set accidentally by a group of students partying on an abandoned site in the woods. They thought they had doused their campfire! Now they have to live forever with the consequences of their carelessness. Thinking about this and the day that lies before us, I will ask God to help me control my tongue, not only in what I say to others but also what I write in e-mails and articles. I will pray even more urgently for God's help when I feel frustrated or on the defensive, because I know that those are the times when I am tempted to say something that I will regret later. Join me today in being quick to listen and slow to speak so that we won't have to put out any fires caused by a thoughtless or angry word.

No comments: